Wednesday 21 January 2009

Malicious Falsehood by Greyhound Action




My name is Richard Newell. I live in Co.Cork, Ireland.

I have been falsely accused of being an evil animal abuser by an anti greyhound organisation called Greyhound Action (GA)

I am NOT an evil animal abuser!

At the moment I own two greyhounds living with my family in Co Cork. A nine and a half year old bitch called Bella and a 5 year old bitch called Dior that we have bred two litters from.

I have spoken to a Solicitor about GA's accusation and I can legally take them to court for malicious falsehood, however, my solicitor believes GA would welcome the publicity so the last thing I want to do is help publicise their twisted cause.

I have owned greyhounds for over 16 years and not once have I had a greyhound put down unless on the advice of a qualified vetinary surgeon.

I bred one litter of 6 greys in April 07, whelped them and reared them myself. What follows is what happened to the 6 pups.

2 pups were put down at 4 weeks old by a qualified Vet as they could not hold their food down.

1 dog pup smashed his leg and broke 4 metacarpals out galloping doing what greys do naturally, he was in such distress the qualified Vet recommended the only humane thing to do was to put him down. After me helping his Mother bring him in to the World, being with them pups and him every day of their lives, you cannot imagine how that hurt to have him put down after the previous incident bringing back yet more painful memories!

1 pup sold at 14 months old.2 pups still owned by me and enjoying their racing in England at Perry Barr in Birmingham.

6 pups all accounted for and not one pup put down unless on Vetinary advice!

I currently have 8 new pups, this time thankfully all healthy at nearly 6 months old, being reared by a full-time rearer. I didn't fancy going through all of the hardship and commitment of rearing them myself again. Two sold, three still for sale and three a friend and I are keeping. 8 all accounted for and none of them put down!

I'd say my story is similar to hundreds of one man breeders\owners across the World. Breeding and rearing greyhounds is an enormous commitment with hours of dedication and certainly not for the faint hearted.

It would be good if GA showed some sign of respect for these pups and stop publicising my words and glorifying the pups deaths to aid their own twisted cause. I'd like to remember my pups for the joy they brought to me the day I whelped them down, the sense of achievement, the connection I had with them. I'll admit I did get to attached to them, I think all one man breeders must do, and that's another reason why at the moment I'm not rearing them myself.
The quote I made on a forum that GA now publicise on posters etc is taken out of context at a time when I was under great emotional stress having just lost two 4 week old pups from the first ever litter I bred myself.

When I wrote "if any of my pups are not fast enough they have to go" I have owned numerous greyhounds in the past some slower than others and when I said "go" I meant either sold on or retired them to live out their lives as pets! I have rehomed numerous greys in the last 16 years, one grey I paid £300 to be fixed up after a career ending race track injury. I could have chosen to have him put to sleep, many would, and that is their perogative and it would not have been illegal or wrong to do so, however, I decided to pay for his injury to be treated by a Vet at my cost and the family that now have him love him to bits and after moving to Canada he is living out his days as a family pet!

I have never and would never have a healthy pup put down! The trip I took down to the vets was a hard one! It was for 2 very weak pups. The vet diagnosed an internal defect and we lost the two pups. GA even rang me pretending to be someone else and asked me about the incident, I gave GA the full facts of the matter, I did no wrong, the pups were both weak and could have picked up illnesses or disease that would have put their healthy littermates in danger. Of course GA didn't print any of this!

I did say hundreds of greys are put down before they make the track, when you consider I lost 2 in a litter of 6 through internal defects and 1 whilst out galloping I stand by what I said "hundreds of greys do not make the track" BUT not thousands like the GA falsely claim.
I have been in contact with a libel Solicitor and I have every right to take GA to court for malicious falsehood BUT my solicitor advises me this could give GA yet more publicity they want, the last thing I want to do is publicise GA's twisted cause. Although I have not pursued legal action at the current time I still have the right to proceed with legal proceedings should I wish to in the future. I certainly doubt they will ever remove my words from their anti-propaganda or ever apologize in public or to me even though they know they have bent the truth to suit their own end on what was a very sad event!

For anyone that didn't know that the GA spread lies hopefully this blog will put the record straight. GA tell lies to sensationalise and they don't care who they harm along the way. Abusing law abiding citizens both mentally and physically, these are the real Actions of Greyhound Action!

So my name is out there blackened by the GA however, I hope this blog helps put the record straight.

Anyone is welcome to come visit Bella and Dior both living a very happy and fulfilling life.
Pictures are of our latest litter of Scolari x Dior pups and their mother Droopys Dior out rolling in the January snow!

2 comments:

  1. It is those people who generally have no involvement with the sport or animals in general who tend to become members of such organisations.

    Anybody who knows you personally and professionally, knows you to be an honourable and trustworthy individual, who has the highest regard for the welfare and welbeing of animals and humans.

    For an organisation such as this to begin abusing you in this way is a travesty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's clear to me that like the overwhelming majority of racing folk you care about your greyhounds. I am angry that you have been abused by the Anti’s. I hope that the support you receive from greyhound folk will help to ease your pain.

    Brownstown Racing

    ReplyDelete